Monday 6 October 2008

I am moving


I am moving. From one blog to another. I have packed my stuff and coming here, to amuse you and to show you another face of hair and beauty.

I start about me. I am a practising muslim and I am a qualified hairdresser. Currently I am working as a mobile hairdresser and in a salon for appointment only basis. I thoroughly enjoy my job. I deside what to do and when to do it. I love hair in any form or shape and truly believe that little trim from time to time will give you a virtual face lift without any invention and fresh look, weather you choose to cover it or to show it to the whole world.

Today I finally received my certificate. After months and months of waiting, it is now here. Hello to insurance companies to add to my insurance, and to show off to my clients something that I am absolutely proud of. It is a pleasure to finally be able to show that I truly did the 2 years in the college, that I am serious of what I am doing and am going to continue studying. Next year insh-Allah, I will enter the level 3.

I also have finished a search for my dream salon. I am now working in a ladies only salon for appointment only on Saturdays. This is a salon that ticks all the boxes in my wish list: it is near by, managed by muslim women and naturally ladies only. Surely a dream come true. Salons are so vital in keeping with touch of the development in the industry. They are places where the product consultants like to come to show their new products and to share that vital information you need to keep up to date. So I could say that life is pretty good.

I am passionate of ladies only salons. It almost seems like they are forgotten treasure, national history that happened long time ago and now everyone has gone unisex. But we have LOTS of women, who still want to be treated in a ladies only places. We ladies don't always like to show our heads when they are filled with foils, as we like to change our hair colors. Or when we have perm rolls in our heads and we look like something out of space. I think that beauty still needs some secrets, even when men can do anything women can do and they do not get labelled for it, still us ladies want to keep hidden what has been done to us and when. I also think that ladies only salons serve another important area, they are social meeting places where old community matriarchs will meet the young seireens and talk girly things without feeling embarrassed. What a glorious and uplifting way to show young ladies how to become a fully groomed and glamorous woman with a life experience. We need these things in our society now a days, when everything and anything goes and is allowed.

So I am in a mission of looking this industry from another point of view. I would like to do a post revolution in hairdressing, not only by creating amazing hairdos and really fantastic cuts, but also questioning, why should we always mix?
Isn't there anymore such a thing than femininity? Or why has it changed? I think that us ladies used to make ourselves pretty in a salon for many reasons, but one of them was definitely to look nice to our partners or husbands. So why not anymore? And when beauty is bigger and larger than ever before, why is it that people have the image of muslim ladies who cover them selves, not needing a hair cut? It almost seems like there is a stereotype saying that if you cover your hair, you don't need to look pretty. Well, we still want to look nice in front of our husbands and we go to the parties. We want to be fashionable but yet keep our treasures hidden. So when writing this, I have one big question in my mind: When is Vidal Sassoon going to open their Ladies only salon? And if they have one, please could I have the address?


3 comments:

Adventurous Ammena said...

masha'allah, you go girl!!! so do they do spa treatments at your salon too? :P

Fruitful Fusion said...

Assalaamu Alaykum,

Nora! I had no idea you had a blog! PLEASE colour my hair for me when I'm next in London!!! :) Great blog ma sha Allah!

Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

Aslamu alakum nora these colors are lovely , i will be ringing you next inshaallah i need a hair treat.